Thursday, November 26, 2009

"Surrogate birth family allows 1st media photos

"A 53-year-old woman who became a surrogate mother for her daughter posed for media photographs with the daughter, 27, earlier this year as part of an interview with The Yomiuri Shimbun.

"It was the first time in the nation that participants in a surrogate birth had agreed to allow the media to photograph them.

"The daughter had her uterus surgically removed at the age of 1 after a large tumor was discovered there. After she married, her mother offered to carry her daughter's child.

"Doctors at Suwa Maternity Clinic in Nagano Prefecture carried out the in vitro fertilization and procedures for the birth.

"They fertilized one of the woman's ova with her husband's sperm and transplanted the fertilized egg into her mother's womb. The mother delivered a baby boy this spring by cesarean section.

""I've had the joy of having my own child, but my daughter is unable to give birth herself," the mother told the Yomiuri. "I wanted her to feel this joy and offered to give birth on her behalf."

"Questions were raised about the safety of a 53-year-old woman delivering a child, something the daughter was fully aware of.

""I wondered whether I needed a child so much I would go to the point of damaging my mother's health," the daughter said. "But I thought I would venture to take one step forward and consulted with hospital director [Yahiro] Netsu."

"After the birth of her son, the daughter said she did not really feel as if she had become a mother. But she gradually developed maternal feelings after changing his diapers every day and feeding him milk at night.

"Asked why they allowed the Yomiuri to photograph them, the daughter said: "Some women are born without a uterus and some women lose them through illness. By talking about my own concerns, I hope I can help ease the concerns of these women. I don't want them to give up."

"Her mother added: "Giving birth to new life is a wonderful thing. I hope no ban is imposed on surrogate births, and this path to having children is not closed.""

By Yomiuri Shimbun (11/25/2009), Link to article (last visited 11/26/2009)

No comments: